Lee Benson, CEO of Execute To Win, joins the show to discuss his powerful yet practical approach to leadership and culture. Lee has worked with thousands of leaders and went from owning a business with 2 employees to quickly becoming Able Aerospace, a company with 500 employees and 2,000 customers. He explains why better alignment leads to better results, and how we get there. He also discusses his love for the guitar, and why being presented with a hurdle may be the best opportunity we get.
[4:04] Alignment brings increased productivity, reduces reactivity and ambiguity, and strengthens the ability to execute strategic initiatives faster.
[7:18] When everyone at the organization is involved with setting the standards for culture and what determines success, they are more likely to stick with it, be more deeply involved, and ultimately provide more value for the organization.
[11:50] When leaders encourage their team to know the “why”, it will measurably improve the organization and explain why the day to day actions are worthwhile.
[13:53] What may be seen as a disadvantage to some may be a source of value creation for others. Lee turned in debt and the need to be independent into a lucrative career and a Global aerospace powerhouse.
[17:43] When we create the right environment as leaders, they never want to leave.
[19:54] A good leader clearly explains the outcomes they expect, and how they plan to measure and track success. They watch their employees from the frontlines, and gives more authority and autonomy based on earned decisions and results.
[21:34] We must first get the mindset right. Then, we can move to the tools of the processes and technology.
[22:09] Two categories that typically come from Lee drilling down with teams on what creates stellar leadership: behaviors that achieve extraordinary results, and manager operating system elements.
[28:55] Lee sees his focus on 60% with the employees, and the other 40% for the customers. The more aligned the employees, the better experience the customer has naturally.
[33:46] Leaders encourage everyone to study the competition and determine what gives them the leading edge.
[37:50] In a country where Lee feels most leadership teams are performing at a C, it is possible for them to be B’s and A’s in six months with the right tools.
[40:23] The four categories of a capable leader: alignment, leadership, management and foundational readiness.
[44:04] It may be an investment at first, but in the long run you save time and receive higher value when you spend time getting employees in alignment.
How to Contact Lee:
- “Life is so much better not putting out fires.”
- “High performing employees do what they say they are going to, and treat company resources as their own.”
- “The earlier you can start the value creation process, the more set you are going to be.”
- “When you create the right environment, it’s timeless and addictive.”
- “You have to earn autonomy.”
- “There has to be a ‘why’.”